Pages

Monday, November 2, 2015

Does Amazon Deceive Customers at Checkout?

I have been an avid Amazon.com shopper for many years. I highly recommend their vast amount of goods, competitive pricing, and excellent customer service. With that being said, there is one questionable practice that Amazon engages in that to me is an outright deception. Here are some screenshots to walk you through.





Screenshot #1: I have chosen a pair of Bluetooth headphones. It has free shipping if the order exceeds $35.00. So I'll just find another item I need for at least $6.10. As you can tell by the picture the FREE Shipping is in bold. Now to add another item...





Screenshot #2: I found an armband. It's $7.99 so that brings that total to $37.89. This item also ships free if the order is over $35.00. I love Amazon! I'm going to get free shipping! Right? Right??



Screenshot #3: So I've hit the checkout button. Good thing too I need to get off here and do some stuff and.......hey wait, where is my free shipping? I don't understand. What did I do wrong? So after rechecking everything......






Screenshot #4: Bingo! I found the problem! I had to scroll down a bit. Amazon distinguishes between Free Shipping (5-8 days) and Standard shipping (4-5 days). So I have to CHOOSE Free Shipping....(thought I already did when the total exceeded $35.00.) So now I will check Free Shipping...



Screenshot #5: And look what happened! I get my Free Shipping! Oh and by the way, why was it 6.25 when I was going to have to pay it but 5.25 when they issued the credit? (I've yet to figure that one out, but it had no effect on the total cost.)

By now you should see where I'm going here. Why doesn't the cart default to the free shipping option if it meets the requirements? If this is not bait and switch it is very close to it. I discovered this discrepancy a few years back when ordering something in a hurry with my smart phone. Realizing Amazon had charged for shipping a few minutes after getting the confirmation, I contacted them to complain and they promptly refunded the shipping.

Can you imagine how many customers don't catch this? Good for Amazon's bottom line, not so good for unaware customers.

To those of you that wonder why I don't sign up for Amazon Prime which offers free 2 day shipping on eligible items, stay tuned, I have a few things to say about that in a later post. Web designers that work on shopping sites like Amazon are top notch. Every word and picture and placement thereof are extremely calculated. So what do you guys think? Is this much ado about nothing?













11 comments :

  1. https://www.ipl-2020.in/2019/12/IPL-2020-Schedule.html

    Ipl 2020 schedule

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not the time that you can sit and think about to buy a home, get ready to participate in auctions by participating in our mega auctions.
    Bank Auctions in India

    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bidder is destined for the bid, where are you?
    Start bidding on online bank auction in india for auction properties.
    For assistance-
    Call on 9004062147, 9950015000
    Email info@banknilami.com
    #auction #liveauction #onlineauction #offlineauction #realestate

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://educationalsymtoms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Info on audio books This article will really help beginners for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your article makes perfect sense. Writing that is worth reading. oh yeah btw also visit my website Autoankauf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your posting. Keep posting like this is very helpful for us have found something new in this Article.
    buy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!
    Are you looking for a logo design for your business? buy a logo with us with 75% off I expect You will be happy with the service. buy logo online

    ReplyDelete
  9. whenever I am feeling boring I am not playing some kinds of games but on the opposite, I am starting to find some blogs where I can find helpful articles but I am not commenting there but this article really is an awesome article I ever say thanks for sharing it with us.
    if you have an interest in web designing or logo designing then visit us?
    Logo Designers

    ReplyDelete
  10. agree with you. Although I started my blog some time ago, I didn’t really start posting much until this year, good luck with your blog!

    https://officialpanda.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. law dissertation service

    ReplyDelete